Monday, September 1, 2008

Play with Google Maps

Oh yes! I do like Google Maps. Having friends and relatives in all parts of the world I've used this facility to 'look in on them' when physically unable to do so. I 'm aware some may regard satellite photography as intrusive. However, it can be great fun and is not exactly CCTV! My niece in the UK said I may be surprised to find that she 'lives in the middle of a field' which was where Google flagged her. It's not always precise. However, when she gave me her exact location, I was able to see her newly-installed greenhouse and the level crossing that gives her horse the heebie-jeebies! I've located a street in the bustling city of Sao Paulo, Brazil, where a nephew lived for a time.


A recent addition to'map', 'satellite', with/without street names, and 'terrain' is 'street view'. This is only available in Australia and allows one to meander down any street. Faces are blurred and the view does not include 'entering the premises.' It would be handy for looking at prospective real estate property, especially at long distance. And looking back at places loved and lost! I would recommend everybody visit http://www.googlemaps.au/ if only to see what others may see when they look up your street address. In addition, directions to a destination from a starting point can be useful if a driver does not have a GPS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home